Friday, November 25, 2016

On my plate #fmsphotoaday #fms_onmyplate #november #2016 Friday's at my mom's are fish and rice with corn day. It has been raining non-stop for the past few weeks (if not months) in some parts of my country and rivers are dangerously overflowing. The little town where my mom was born, Arenoso, is flooded by the waters of the Yuna river. I have relatives who live there, thankfully they're ok since they live in a two-story concrete house, but they've had no electricity or food for the past days. All the crops have gone to waste, animals have drowned, basic infrastructure have collapsed, people have lost their houses and belongings, they're in a state of emergency right now. I'm thankful that I have food on my plate, running water and electricity today, I will sleep in a cozy bed and maybe even with some tv; my uncle and aunt and the rest of the Dominicans who live on the disaster areas aren't so lucky. My cousin had to almost swim to get to his house earlier in order to bring his parents some food today (they don't want to leave because they're afraid to lose what little they have left to burglars), since the town is literally in communicated due to the flood, unaccessible via land vehicles. Meanwhile, the authorities are nowhere to be found (as usual). If you are a believer, please say a prayer not only for the inhabitants of Arenoso but for the rest of those living on the affect communities of the Dominican Republic. I'm thinking about going over to Arenoso on Sunday, if the weather permits and if Vicikiana (my SUV) decides to use on her old diving fins, after confirming with my cousin that the highway is secure enough for travel. May God have mercy on all of us. If there is any way you. An help, please let me know and I'll set up something with my cousin.


via Instagram http://ift.tt/2geMK7U

No comments: